Each year, Council 13517 honors people with “Of The Year” awards. These awards are in recognition of above and beyond service in their families, parish, and community. The categories are as follows:
- Chaplain / Religious: council chaplain or spiritual advisor recognition.
- Family: includes a Knight and at least one or more immediate family members and highlights the family’s participation in, contributions to, and leadership of activities which serve the Council, Church, and Community.
- Knight: can be awarded to any Knight in good standing, typically a past Knight of the Month, but does not have to be.
- Youth: any child under age 18, either the child of a Knight or a Columbian Squire or Columbus Girl, who remains a practical Catholic and is of good academic standing at his or her school.
Nominations and voting was held throughout the month of March, and after a tight race, the winners have been decided! Congratulations to the following…
- Chaplain / Religious: Deacon William Yoho
- Family: Jim & Jan Sugalski & family
- Knight: Dan Malek
- Youth: Ava Shaker
There was so much great details provided for these deserving winners, and although we can’t possibly fit all the details here in this post, here are a few highlights:
…on Sundays, Deacon Will would have to fly in a helicopter to get to the forward operating bases to serve Mass and provide communion to the Catholic soldiers. For many of the soldiers, this was the only chance they got to receive the Eucharist during their entire deployment…
…the Sugalski’s have led or participated in numerous events that support our values from our Council Christmas Party to parking cars for the Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish Fall Festival…
…Dan accepted the role of Program Director and immediately began planning the fraternal year with a goal of having most programs complete within the first six months. This allowed our Council to focus on strategic planning and goals during a global pandemic…
…The same theme seems to be repeated by many of her teachers; that Ava is a hard worker with natural leadership skills but still kind and helpful with her classmates. Ava is very proud of her faith…
These individuals (and family) are true examples of the selfless, giving attitude that Knights of Columbus Council 13517 seeks to represent. Grand Knight Scott Whitney and Council 13517 are truly honored to have them represent our Council “Of The Year” winners!